Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy Happy!

Ah, yes. I'm at it again. Still here, still.. well, here. Picked up right where I left off, overtime overdrive. Where has all the never-ending self-bashing gone?

***

So I spent last New Year's Eve hobnobbing with fellow Makati-lites at the Countdown to 2008 Bash over at Ayala. Sweet. It felt like college all over again, except that we were rocking to the likes of the Bloomfields and the Itchyworms alongside the likes of Victor Basa and Teddy Boy Locsin. Yep, you read right. Mr. Congressman with his cute lil grandboy perched on top of his shoulders, à la Woodstock '69. That scene reminded me of all the reasons that I absolutely love the New Year celebration. Never mind the summertime; NY Eve is the ultimate time and place to be.

So I have to say, it was the first time I spent the holidays away from home, far, far away from the city that sleeps a little too early but parties hard on NY Eve. I thought I could take it. But it was damn hard. Good thing there was raucous music and the eye-blistering burst of fireworks c/o the city government of Makati to distract me from thoughts of home, of dad and the kids lighting up illegal firework-like thingies all over the backyard and just generally trying to outdo and out-obnoxify the neighbors. It was hard, but I managed to have a scream of a good time. How could I not, with Lej clutching at my arm, leading our twosome in an impromptu jumping jacks in place showdown. "You never know if our growth spurt might still come," she proclaimed amid the fantastic popping of lights and stars in the sky. I thought people our age stopped subscribing to such things. Apparently, Lej is an even bigger optimist than I credit her for. Which is exactly why we're buddies to the end.

Apart from the celebrity eyeballing, we bumped into a couple of equally suave-looking orgmates from MSA (Aldean and Assad), exchanged working profile details and calling cards with them (as opposed to numbers, coz I couldn't get my cellphone to behave appropriately at the time), and ate ourselves into a morning-after tummyache (oh right, that's just me again). We also ruminated on a great many things, not the least of which was our perennially blissful state of you-know-what. Yep, we give new meaning to the term "sistahs in da 'Hood". Yes, that 'hood, all right.

The night ended not really with a bang but on a crackling, "I miss it already" note. We stayed out and chewed the fat until 3am to try to hold on to the wispy remains of the year we both started really living.

***

Happy Blistering New Year, folks! Another year to live fast and party hard like it's 1999!

No comments: