Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Jeepers Sleepers!

I'm a dreamer, but I'm not a very good sleeper...
- Michel Gondry, Acclaimed Director/Eternal Dreamer


Cool. Now I got one thing in common with the ingenious mind behind one of the most deelish films in recent years, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Insomniacs of the world, unite and take refuge in the thought that our fate as enduring denizens of the night is not quite the sad fact of life that early sleepers/worms say it is. Who knew sleeplessness could be fashionable? Hence, it is for this reason that I think we should support all things Gondry (BTW--gotta love the spot work by his brother, Olivier, who was behind HP's "The Computer is Personal Again" TV ad campaign).

Michel Gondry's semi-recent cinematic offering, "The Science of Sleep", is definitely one of the movies on my to-watch list. I wonder if they ever marketed this commercially in Manila when it came out last year. Given my on-and-off devotion to Gael García Bernal, who stars in this heady, aesthetically disorienting piece of imagery, it's terribly unlikely that I might have slept through the entire run of its showing in theaters everywhere here. For sure, I would have felt His Royal Mexican Hotness' vibe--ooh but that smoldering gaze, through which one could glimpse the tortured soul of a true artist--beckoning and calling out to moi. ("¡Si, un momento, caro mio!") Then again, I am a pretty erratic sleeper, and when I do get the slumber party in my head started, there goes the monkey wrench into the whirling and spinning mechanism of my so-called life. Forget about love and imagined dates with destiny ("Lo siento, Gael baby..") and such worldly affairs. The only affair that I wanna be keeping is the one with my unan. But I digress. Sort of.





According to the official movie site, the DVD could already be snatched up since February this year. Of course, being a pirate at heart, I intend for this to be scored through more, erm, "consumer-savvy" means. The peso might be rising a wee bit, but this big baby needs more bang for her buck to thrive in the new economy. Dreaming sleepers, even the que terible ones, do have some living up to do outside the realm of slumberland.

Of course, such intentions do not not in any way serve to diminish my admiration for such mavericks of the cinema. I am all for supporting the arts in any way I can. After all, art is life. Or rather, art imitates life imitates art. (Or is it the other way around--life imitates art imitates life...?)

Okay, whatever. All I gotta say for now is, Monsieur Gondry, if you are reading this, vous êtes un très cool dude. If you need an extra pair of hands for your puppet scenes or a gopher for one of your rock videos, drop me a line! Will PA for peanuts!


No comments: