Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Marion Cotillard Wins Best Acceptance Speech and Best Backstage Interview in the Oscars.. oh, and Best Actress too..

Marion Cotillard is damn beautiful. Mind you, she may not be the type of beauty that knocks eyes out of their sockets. Her sultry good looks may not inspire a madness that could drive one to slit their wrist in puppy love despair. Rather, the extent of her appeal, albeit not quite ethereal, is beyond worldliness. She doesn't look like Christmas morning, she looks like French spring. She's magnifique. She's divine.

It's cliché, but the star who plays the award-winning role of iconic French songstress Edith Piaf in 'La Vie En Rose' (not to mention the female lead in my fave French movie, 'Jeux D'enfants', as described by moi here) is the picture of all things je ne sais quoi. I mean, will you just look at her.


Plus, she's effortlessly funny too. How can you not love her?

[Backstage at the 80th Academy Awards Press Con] When asked how it felt to win first the César, the French equivalent of the Oscar, then the Oscar itself, she said:

"I'm totally overwhelmed with joy and sparkles and fireworks... Everything which goes like bam, bam, bam... all these things are happening right now. It's just a joy and so unexpected that it's surreal, but I love it. It's huge. I'm so proud of the movie. We had so much more than fun during the shooting and all the adventure."

Cotillard credited her presenter Forest Whitaker--last year's Leading Actor Oscar winner for 'King of Scotland'--with helping her to come back into her body. "I was totally... my brain collapsed," said Cotillard when asked what was going through her head after hearing her name called. "He helped me to find the plug back to my brain."

She said the process of being nominated for the César in France and the Oscar in America is very different. "The confusion is that I spent more than a month talking about myself, which is not what I prefer to do in life," she said, "so it's very long, longer than in France. You don't do this, you don't campaign, so that was kind of weird to answer the same questions about myself because the movie was released everywhere. I mean... the life of the movie is going on... the movie doesn't need us anymore."

(writeup in block-quote by Stacy Jenel Smith and Stephanie DuBois)
Like I said, how can you not love her?

No comments: