Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ode To The Best

Slippery, mush-ridden slopes ahead. Be forewarned.

In my 24 years of being, I have experienced being hated upon sight. Not because I bear such fine features--the type that can turn the normally docile into the picture of eyebrow-raising cattiness (yeah, I wish)--but because I look a certain way. Sometimes, I get to correct these misconceptions, to a certain extent. But I suspect more often than not, they go unchecked. Because they can sometimes be quite inane, to the point of ludicrity (if there is such a word), I don't really care much. But the experience has taught me that sometimes, all you are to people are a preconceived notion that fits into the mold that reinforces how they think the world goes round. Now who am I to disturb the peace and shake up their perfect little world? I'm just a bystander, a stranger passing by in the annals of existence. Who in this world isn't?

But sometimes, you have the good fortune of being pleasantly surprised. You find out that your role in the overblown musical that is life doesn't have to be limited to being a lamp post. It's one of the never-ending mysteries of life, much like witnessing the birth of a baby or winning the lotto (none of which I've experienced firsthand). Because despite being who I am and what I am (which is sometimes a living, breathing lamp post) and everything in between, I'm still somebody to someone. And I should know, that ain't no easy feat.

To my best friend in the whole world, thanks for being who you are. For being there for me even when I wasn’t all that I was supposed to be. For not hating me when you had reason to. Thank you for loving me, for knowing and accepting the real me, even when you didn't understand me. You didn't have to, but you did. And good luck to you, you still do. Through you I’ve come to know and feel the meaning of love, goodness, forgiveness. Through you I’ve come to know true friendship. You truly are the best person I know. Peksman.

You don’t know how much I want to be there for you on your special, sunshiny day. But all I can do is FedEx super duper grande venti hugs and kisses. Olive juice and best wishes, habibi! I'll be missing you even more, it's so not funny.

No comments: