Tuesday, December 18, 2007

On Scroogism

Kainis. The folks behind Avenue Q are doing a restaging this month after an uber-successful run of the Tony-winning musical just last September. I missed out on the hoopla then coz I was too wiped out to lift my arse off the swivel chair here at the office and make the short trek to RCBC Plaza where the play was being shown.

But now, well, 'tis the season for merry-making, like they say. And if the rave reviews of the production are any indication, Avenue Q is bound to leave you in stitches over its mischievous rendition of certain themes in kiddie pop culture (read: Sesame Street).


Grrr. Now they pull this when I've just about run out of juice to fuel extraneous spending for the remainder of the holidays. A little heads up a few weeks ago would have been nice. Gift-giving and fattening holiday dinners aside, the bonus has already been chalked up for some credit alleviation, making it a little hard these days to part with even 500 clams. Gaah. Cruddy heart-searing dilemmas, why oh why?

***

Duh. I totally have to do some serious soul-searching this season. Incurring the error of regret now comes just second to keeping hope afloat (meaning, still being able to play Muay Thai on weekends and then gorge at masa sushi joints). I can now say no to a possibly good movie, as long as I don't see its trailer rocking out on cable or anything. Of course, I'm still watching Will Smith's I Am Legend with Lejan next week, coz it can't be helped. Gotta have my last big-screen hurrah for the year.

In times of consumeristic indecision, the burning question of the day remains: To Scrooge, or not to Scrooge. While it's incredibly tempting to jump headfirst into the Kool Aid of holiday cheer and play my own Santa Claus, I think I should really take my own advice and stick with the following yearend resolutions, if only to stave off further damages:

1 - Must stay away from Starbs unless absolutely necessary (i.e., the case of pending OB with client or Town Hall meetings)

2 - Must not partake of any meal that costs more than 200 bucks during weekends and 170 during weekdays.

3 - Must keep consumption of desserts to a maximum of 150 bucks per week. (Really gotta bite the bullet here.)

4 - Must stay away from Powerbooks/Fully Booked/National Bookstore. (Okay, except to avail of that single 10% discount c/o dear company.)

5 - Must stay away from record bars. (Doggone eSnips, why'd you have to go and pull a Napster?)

6 - Must stay away from Nike stores. (Except maybe to get one last dri-fit shirt...)

7 - Must get up much, much earlier and go home earlier and keep away from cabs.

8 - Must get OT-related expenses reimbursed.

9 - Must stop watching the Living Asia Channel.


I guess outside of this, I'm good. Oh well. When the spirit of the holidays wears off, I think everyone finds that you just can't screw Scrooge. So here's hoping personal tightwadism does work out and I don't end up in welfare, hallucinating about ghosts of Christmas past and what-could-have-beens and whatnot.


No comments: